Wednesday, June 29, 2011

New Chapters

It has been less than a week since my last post but it feels like much longer than that.  There is a lot going on around here.  The school year is nearly over and new adventures are on the horizon.  We are saying good-bye to several of the children – some will be returning in the fall but two will not.

For some of the younger children this will be a big change since some of these familiar faces have been here as long as they can remember.  It will be very different without them here. We are also meeting some new friends who will be joining our group for the summer.

Some of the children have already been on various summer excursions with their families so attendance has been sporadic.  Occasionally we’ve had only two children here – it seems so quiet.  My teen-age son and one of the school-age children spent one of these quiet mornings perfecting their hoop tossing skills.  First they practiced spinning the hoola hoops as they threw them away which results in the hoops rolling back to them.

Then they increased the game difficulty by using two different sized hoops and intricate timing so that when the two hoops met one passed through the other.  It looked like this;





My photgraphy skills do not fully capture the magnitude of this feat. The preschooler and I had neither the patience nor expertise to compete but we provided the cheers to encourage the game players.

My ‘vacation’ begins in just a few days and I will miss observing activities like these.  My list of things I want to accomplish on my ‘time off’ is much longer than the two weeks I have allotted.  I’m not sure how much time I’ll have to write but I hope to keep you informed about some of the projects as I work on them.

Looking forward to new faces, new spaces, and new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment