Wednesday, August 17, 2011

To Water or Not

I have two water barrels that collect rainwater to use for our garden and planters.  Filling watering cans to water the plants is one of the children’s favourite outdoor activities;





The rain barrel that is located in the gravel area has also been used to fill containers with water for play and experiments;


 
The hot dry summer has taken its toll on our water supply and, even with some restrictions on the amount of water we could use each day, our rain barrels are now empty.  My husband asked if I wanted him to use the hose from the house and fill the rain barrels.  I said no.  Empty rain barrels is part of the lesson.

So yesterday the weather forecast predicted rain and the dark clouds looked promising.  We went outside to play.  One of my ‘newest’ children said “I thought we wouldn’t play outside if it was going to rain.” I laughed.  “But we love the rain, why would we stay inside?”

Then it started, slowly;

 
And the dust began to turn to mud;

 
The rocks look really pretty when they are wet;


And the children noticed all the droplets of water;

 
And they were quick to react;


Sharing and working together;


But sadly the rain lasted barely five minutes — not nearly enough to produce the results we wanted;


But that too is part of the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment