Friday, March 15, 2013

Trimming Trees

One day last week as I was helping to get the toddlers dressed to go outside I told the preschoolers to put on their boots.  They looked at me and in unison asked “Are we going for a walk?”

They know the routine.  We get dressed at the front door because there is more room there but we carry our boots to the back door to go outside to play.  We only put our boots on at the front door if we are going out the front to go for a walk.

They sounded a little disappointed.  They look forward to playing in the yard and sometimes the toddlers walk so slowly that we run out of time to play.  I reassured them that we were just walking around the block and would come in the back yard to play.

There was something on the street that I thought they would like to see.  I had noticed the ‘No Parking – Street Work’ signs the day before and now the trucks were down at the end of the block.
We went out on the step;

Trimming01

“What are they doing?” the children asked.
“Trimming the trees” I replied.
“Can we go watch them?”
“Yes, but not to close.”  We talked about the warning signs;

Trimming02

We discussed the things we saw and heard.  The equipment was very loud.  I explained that it was easier to trim the trees in the winter when there were no leaves and the trees were dormant.  One child expressed concern that the workers would cut down ‘all the trees and we’ll have none left’.  Awww.

We walked around to the back yard to play.  I was hoping that by the time we came back inside the workers would have moved farther down the street and the children would be able to watch some more from the playroom window.

By lunchtime the trucks had only moved slightly closer – they didn’t appear to be making much progress.  I figured at this rate they wouldn’t reach my house until the middle of nap time – grrrr.
Actually, they never did come further down the street.  I wondered why.

The school bus dropped off the older children and then had to back down the street to leave because the trucks were still blocking the road.  That’s when we noticed this;

Trimming03

That’s some MAJOR trimming.  Luckily they only cut down the one tree and not all of them.  We still have some left – for now.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what a pain it must have been during autumn to rake up that many leaves!

    -Asheville Tree Service

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually rake up the leaves - just blow them into the garden and let them compost naturally :-)

      Delete