Sunday, August 17, 2014

Creative Summertime Freeplay

This has been a quiet summer.  Quiet meaning the children have needed very little direction from me.  This year’s group is very independent which has left me plenty of time for observation.
Indoors the trains have been neatly organized in the tubes instead of the block bin with the train tracks.  It was not my idea but I like it :-)

0-parking

That is the only indoor picture that I have because we’ve been playing outside most of the time.
All the loose parts have provided endless opportunities for creativity and symbolic play.  These ‘eggs’ are neatly arranged by size;

1-eggs

Of course there were many picnics and restaurants;

2-picnic

The little tree cookies were used to create paths between and around the larger stumps;

3-steps

There was an ice cream shop with a wide variety of menu choices;

4-icecream shop

A grand pony expedition – I love that these children can use action figures creatively without following a movie script;

5-ponies

There was also an elaborate dramatic play activity involving the whole group.  The main characters were ‘sabre tooth grizzly birds’ and since I had trouble envisioning what they would look like I asked for a picture of one;

6-STGBird

This picture was made possible thanks to an accessible outdoor art area.

I also asked them to make a list of art items they’d like to have available.  There is plenty of paper so I was a little surprised by the size of the list they made;

7-list

Even our outdoor snack time has been a creative activity;

8-ODsnack

And finally, this little pine cone family has been waiting patiently all weekend.

10-pinecones

I wonder what they will be doing when the children return…

No comments:

Post a Comment