Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Taco Pie

Today I want to highlight one of our lunch menu items.  A long time ago I used to have chili buns on the menu - they were popular but any meal items that need to be assembled on the individual plates I find are too time consuming.  I much prefer to prepare 'all-in-one' meals like Layered French Toast that can be prepared in advance and are easier to serve to a group.

Taco Pie is like that - essentially a chili bun casserole type meal - perfect.  In the morning I start by making chili;

  • 1 796 ml can diced tomatoes
  • 1 540 ml can of black beans
  • 1 284 ml can of tomato soup
  • 1 lb ground beef, scramble fried
  • 1/4 cup taco seasoning (approximately - maybe more - I don't measure it, I just dump some in until it looks/smells right).
  • salt, pepper, chili flakes, paprika, (to taste)
  • Salsa (optional - sometimes I add some, sometimes I don't, never measure)

These all simmer for an hour or so while I grate cheese, prepare the crust and do any other necessary tasks before the children arrive.  This is the biscuit crust recipe - this I measure;

  • 4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 8 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 1/2 cups milk

Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Make a well in center and pour in milk and mayonnaise.  Mix to moisten and then press into bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven, sprinkle crust with grated cheese, pour chili over top, cover with crushed corn chips and some more grated cheese.

At this point I suppose you could just bake it a little longer to melt the cheese and then serve it but because I prepare it very early in the morning I cover it with foil and put it in a 175 degree oven until lunch - it is ready for us whenever we are done playing.

DSC02789

No comments:

Post a Comment