Monday, July 16, 2018

Vacation 2018

As usual I spent my two week ‘vacation’ working on projects and as usual I didn’t manage to complete ALL the things I had hoped to.  However, this year I DID spend my entire vacation outdoors because I was working on the backyard play space. It was wonderful!
I’m back to work today and the children should be arriving soon so here’s a very quick post about the mostly completed yard.  First, the view to the SW corner as you leave the house;
18-07-yard01
Down the stairs and looking to the SE corner;
18-07-yard02
From the SE corner looking to the NW corner;
18-07-yard03
From the SW corner looking to the NE corner;
18-07-yard04
This is one of my favourite areas – my little hideaway under the cedars;
18-07-yard05
Here is the old tipi with newly added storage areas and camouflage cover;
18-07-yard06.jpg
I added ‘castle battlements’ to the wall between the gravel area and the garden and attached the drums here too. The table was made from a spool and some tile samples – supplies that were donated by parents;
18-07-yard07
The stump circle containing the ‘digging area’ was moved to one edge of the gravel area to make room for a ‘construction zone’.  All the building supplies are now stored conveniently under the willow;
18-07-yard08
The fence panel between the bark area and the car port is now the ‘art wall’ – although not quite complete yet – the planters will hold art supplies and paper etc can be clipped to the fence;
18-07-yard 09
I also have a large hammock that hangs in this area when we want to relax 🙂
The biggest part of this project is not visible –  the removal of the old deck and walkway – there were sections of it that were rotting and unsafe, it was 18 years old.  I couldn’t just trash the whole thing though, any sections of wood that were still good were of course salvaged and reused.
Total monetary cost of this entire project was $350 (mulch, stone, sunshade etc) and a few hundred hours of labour in 30 degree Celsius weather.  Perfect vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment