Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Watercolour

Last February when I attended a workshop on messy play I noted that the presenter, Lisa Murphy – The Ooey Gooey Lady, often used liquid watercolor in many of her activities.  I was excited when I discovered that Cre8tive Art Supplies carried a similar product.


Recently I’ve used it in several of our summertime activities – like painting sticks to decorate the garden.  First we went on a walk through the neighbourhood to collect the sticks.  Then we sanded them;


I added the liquid watercolor to some shaving cream foam to use to paint the sticks;


I loved the vibrant colors that were created by using just a few drops of liquid watercolor.
The baby had no interest in painting sticks but she did like mixing foam and watercolor;


As the children finished painting each stick we stuck them in the bare spot of the garden;


Once the foam paint dried there was no color left on the sticks?!?!?  It was somewhat disappointing.
Another day we tried using the liquid watercolor with water and bath puffs to add color to the deck;


Again, beautiful bright colors but they didn’t show up much on the deck even when it was wet and there was no color visible once it dried.

I gave the children some white paper to see if that worked better;


We placed the dripping wet paper in the sun to dry and watched as all the color disappeared too. :-(

Next I’m going to try using the liquid watercolour to tint some playdough.  Good thing these activites are about the process not the product!

No comments:

Post a Comment